Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year or not?

Most of my friends hope that 2009 is going to be a better year. Not sure if they just mean financially because a few of them have had some rough times. REALLY rough times. I on the other hand am being very optimistic. Like why does the start of a new calendar year mean a clean slate? It doesn't really. The hardships and woe are carried over from December 31st to January 1st.
I'm the type of person who believes in "signs". Some people may think they're just coincidences but not me. Rewind to the New Year's Party we were at. We're counting down the ball, 10...9...8...7...6....5...4....3....2.. and the tv goes to black and white fuzz!! What the hell? We're all in shock. What happened? Did the network go out? Then my sister in law hands me a tv controller. She must've hit it with her elbow or sat on it or something. In those few seconds we lost the start of 2009. Ok, coincidence or what? Scary..
Another sign that 2009 is possibly going to be bad. It's a southern tradtion to eat ham and black- eyed peas on New Year's Day. To make it easier my mom bought frozen black-eyed peas instead of dried which take several hours to soften. The package for the frozen said 30 minutes. Well, we cooked them little peas for over an hour and they were still hard. We all ate what we could swallow. I smothered mine in mayonaise. In hopes of having a good year I ate more than I would have, just in case. I payed for it later. About an hour after dinner my stomache was killing me. I felt like I ate at an All You Can Eat buffet. I swear it was those black-eyed peas. They must've been swelling up in my stomache. I thought I was going to burst from the stomache pressure.
It all boils down that it might not be a good year.
But I'm not ruling out a good year. 2009 is 12 months long and it could pull through and be the start of better times.

2 comments:

We 2 Bees said...

I hope you are just slow to start for your 2009 greatness! Let us look at the positive side right? I agree with you though, why do we think "oh it's a new start" it's really not, it that was the real case then each day should be a fresh start... and I guess in a way it can be when we put our trust in the Lord and start fresh with Him each day! So... have a Happy New Day!

Tiffany said...

I try to be positive but my optimism gets in the way. I agree that each day is a fresh start for each person. It's our chance to make the world a little better. If only everyone woke up feeling that way.