Saturday, October 23, 2010

Volunteering: Little E

After eight weeks of waiting for my application to be verified, my background checked and whatever else they needed to dig up on me, I am officially a volunteer for Miss K's school! Last week the resource officer called me to give me the good news and wanted to know what kind of volunteering I was interested in. I was willing to work in any classroom even if it meant doing so in Miss K's class. She said she had a teacher that needed filing done and seeing how I would be bringing Little E with me, this teacher would be more understanding since she has a toddler herself.
I started my firs day of volunteer work this morning. I was nervous about how Little E would do. Would he be shy and act like he does when a stranger talks to him? Or would he feel at ease and go through all the cabinets, cubbies and books like he was at home? Well.. it was a little bit of both. I was so nervous about it that I had a hard time concentrating for the first 30 minutes.

I was pleasantly surprised at how well he did while I organized homework sheets, filed papers and checked folders. The 3rd graders took to Little E like he was one of their own and he was in heaven. Since it was Friday, the classroom schedule was more relaxed and the teacher played some music and let the kids walk around the room during an exercise. Little E joined in and had the biggest smile on his face!

Once I had finished everything Mrs. P had for me to do today, I told her how relieved I was about his behavior. She told me he did fine and that the students are like "mam hens". I finished telling her that I wasn't sure what to expect from that age group, but it worked well so far. I can't wait until next Monday to see how it goes.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

wow, it took a long time for the background check. I am so glad that he did good while you were volunteering. I think it is wonderful that you are volunteering!

We 2 Bees said...

Volunteering is so fun. I haven't been able to in the classrooms the last two years because of my little guy, he doesn't do great, he just runs all over. But I do so much outside of the class that I'm there ALL the time! That does take a long time. We don't have that process at our school - not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing. Glad you had a good time!

Rose said...

i think it's great to volunteer. i vol. in a different surrounding. doing this can give you a warm glow within your body. Cong. rose

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm so glad it went well. I can't believe how long it takes for the background check though.