Sunday, June 26, 2011

Disconnected

I waited until Saturday to go grocery shopping for the week. I needed to go on Friday since we were out of some important items, but heading out with both children in tow was not worth it. I knew that the kids wouldn't mind staying home with daddy on Saturday afternoon. I readied my lists and decided to venture to the warehouse store as well as my regular grocery stores. Before leaving the kids wanted to play some ringtones on my phone. I told them to bring it right back so I could have it with me.
That was a mistake.

Pulling out of the driveway and waving goodbye to hubs, "I'll call you when I head back over the bridge". (the bridge that separates one county from another) Little did I know, I wouldn't be making that call.

I decided t swing into McDonald's for a sweet tea and realized I was without my cell phone. I debated driving back home. It would have wasted 20-25 minutes of my time.

Nah. I'd survive without it. Could I?

I got off the interstate to head to the warehouse store and decided to hit Toys R Us. Little E's birthday is next month and when was I getting another chance without kids to shop?
I wanted to let hubs know. Oh darn! No phone. Oh well. He probably would have been whining that I was taking too long adding another store.

I finished my shopping trips in four hours. Four hours without connection to my family. No kids. No crying. Silence.

It was nice. I survived. Even though I did miss having it available if I needed it. Thankfully I didn't break down on the road. That would have been scary.

5 comments:

The Bipolar Diva said...

I'm so tech addicted I probably would have had a panic attack!

Varunner7 said...

I use my cell phone about once every couple of days.  I wouldn't have even noticed!

Beth Zimmerman said...

I always feel lost when I accidentally leave mine home. I need to be able to connect at will! :)

crazykindofmom said...

I would like to be more disconnected. It might be nice to not be so easily available.

crazykindofmom said...

I did feel lost a few times. But I realized that the phone calls I might have made weren't that important.