Thursday, August 26, 2010

Writer's Workshop:Rinse and Repeat

This week I am linking up with Mama Kat and doing some Writer's Workshop. I love this meme. When my creative juices are not flowing I love picking one of her prompts and going with it. This week #4 caught my eye.
Prompt #4
4.) Can it be saved? Think of something that is ruined when it’s totally wet: like a newspaper or a piece of cheese. Write a scene (truth or fiction) that involves you and a soaked item.
(inspired by writingfix.com)


I found this amazing recipe with chicken, mushrooms, wine and a few other various ingredients that I wanted to try to make. My husband loves mushrooms and I showed him the delicious idea I was thinking and he was salivating at the thought of a yummy mushroom meal. Unfortunately I tried waiting until mushrooms were on sale before attempting this recipe. When I finally bought the earth grown, dirty little fungus' I had planned out a perfect weekly menu. But a perfectly set up menu doesn't mean a load of crap when your week gets all jacked up. Several crazy evenings of grabbing dinner on the go and making quick dinners of mac and cheese my mushrooms sat and waited.
I finally decided a week later that I was going to make this special dish for my husband. I pulled out my dirty little white, eerrr gray colored earth fungus and set them out. Like I always do with my vegetables and fruits I was going to wash the dirt or pesticides from them. They appeared to be border line on going bad but I figured a good bath would fix that. I took out my colander and dumped both containers in. I turned on the water and washed them vigorously to remove a few traces of slimyness. I let them soak in the water for a few moments and started browning my chicken.
When it came time to drop in the mushrooms for cooking they just didn't seem quite right. I browned them as I normally would adding my garlic then the white wine and the recipe required cooking them until all the liquid was gone. Well I was cooking and cooking and cooking. This went on for quite some time. What was wrong with my mushrooms? I turned up the heat and thought maybe higher heat would do the trick. Not the case. I gave up and removed my skillet from the stove top.
I turned on my computer and googled mushrooms. I searched prep and care of mushrooms. It says that you should quickly rinse, pat dry and use immediately. Oh great! I ruined them with the water bath!! So needless to say my recipe was a bust. Those mushrooms had taken on so much water like sponges that they pretty much cooked to mush.
I cannot remember what my back up meal plan was but I'm sure it involved a delivery driver and some garlic bread. Those little fungus'!!

Mama's Losin' It

4 comments:

Angie said...

Your post reminded me of the problems I have had with mushrooms. After two trips to the ER I finally discovered that I'm allergic. Isn't that awful?

I found you at Mama Kat's and enjoyed reading your post!

Matter of Fact said...

I'm glad I stopped by your wonderful blog :) I'm your newest follower and can't wait to read more !!!

theworkinghousewife said...

Oooh good to know.. I didn't know mushrooms soaked up the water..
Stopped by from Mama Kat's

Jill said...

What a great post! I found your blog through Mama's Little Nestwork and I can't wait to read more. I'm your newest follower.

Jill
http://meetthedubiens.blogspot.com/