Wednesday, January 11, 2012

PYHO: Navigating Through

Navigating through the road map of being a parent to a child diagnosed with ADHD is pretty strenuous. It takes a lot of patience, time and scheduling. Just to name a few things.

For years I struggled with Miss K's inability to focus, stay on task and her horrible time management. Only recently was she diagnosed with ADHD. After the lengthy questionnaires and paperwork they requested before the actual evaluation, she was struggling yet again in school. There was no doubt anymore that I needed to get her help.

Once we finally got an appointment with the doctor, we had Miss K back on track again at school. She was doing better with daily reminders from her teacher. Thank God for understanding teachers. After the diagnosis I was still apprehensive on filling the prescription and actually handing her a pill to take once or, in our case, twice a day. I thought I could still prayerfully make a difference and not medicate her.

So I thought that maybe we could continue with what we were doing. But it was taking it's toll on me and I was neglecting Little E, because I had to spend extra time every day with Miss K. Then she starting slipping again and we were headed downhill. It wasn't surprising, since we'd been there before.

 We just recently started Miss K on the medicine. Slowly we noticed a change in her for the better. Now, after a month of taking her medicine, she is quite different.

It might seem like I could breathe a sigh of relief. Not so fast. It takes some of the pressure off worrying how she will do in school, for the moment.

It's my job to remember to give her the morning pill on time, everyday. It lasts about 4 hours, which then she should take another pill at school to cover her until the afternoon. Of course I was worried about her taking a pill at school. The whole thing with leaving class, everyday to go take her pill. The interruption, being gone and then the kids in her class wondering what she was doing. All those things. So I have been giving her the pill right after school. Which has created another problem. She is not tired when it's bedtime.

So last week, I decided that I would go ahead and get it set up with the school to have her taking her medicine there, right after lunch. I spoke to her teacher about it, so she should would be aware of Miss K leaving class.

I knew her prescription was coming due for a refill. Or shall I say, new prescription written. Thing is another one of the hurdles I will be dealing with, every month, every year, that she is on medicine. The classification of these types of drugs that are prescribed for ADHD, cannot have a refill, by law. So every month I have to call the pediatrician and request a new prescription be written and then wait 48 hours for it to be ready for my pickup. It cannot be called in to the pharmacy.

I picked up the script on Monday and immediately took it to the Target pharmacy, the same pharmacy I used last time to fill it. Of course, they are out of the afternoon (lower dosage) pill. They will have to special order it and it will be in by Friday.

Here's where my mom failure, is going to help us out. Several times I missed getting Miss K here afternoon pill to her on time, so we skipped it on those days and went without. I thought badly of myself at the time, but now it those pills are going to come in handy. But it shouldn't be that way.

I recently heard that the pharmaceutical companies are manufacturing less of these controlled substances, when the amount of children in the United States using them has been on the rise. According to the CDC, that approximately 9.5% or 5.4 million children 4-17 years of age have ever been diagnosed with ADHD, as of 2007.

So like I said, being a parent to a child with ADHD is strenuous, even with medicine to help your child. It's not a quick fix. Not like I ever expected it to be. It makes it easier for her to focus and do well with school and everyday activities and that is most important. Despite the hurdles I am beginning to realize are still there for me, I will continue to muddle through. God gave me my daughter. He knew what he was doing. There is a reason for everything and I wouldn't change it for the world.


11 comments:

Two Bears Farm said...

It's wonderful that you found something that is working!

Your comment on the finger paints - they really weren't messy at all.  I expected much worse.  Not sure if it was partly the brand or partly that my boys didn't get too crazy with it.  Probably both.

shellthings said...

It's never easy, is it? 

Kristen said...

I feel for you...truly! The medicines help but it is still up to us as parents and even them to try to make it through every day. It is a daily struggle. If you ever need to vent, please feel free to email me. I have some experience...

Sorta Southern Single Mom said...

My heart goes out to you.  While I've never had to deal with this as a parent, I have been the person on the other side of the table watching parents grapple with what to do for their child.  Let me assure you that taking the pill at school shouldn't be a big deal.  I have at least one child every year who has to go after lunch and its never been an issue... if they forget, the office calls and it's, for good or bad, become so common place that most kids don't notice or care!

crazykindofmom said...

Thank you for your insight from the other side. I'm thankful to have an understanding teacher this year for K, it has made it easier to discuss the issues we are having and how to deal with them.

crazykindofmom said...

I may have to take you up on that offer. Since this post and we started this months pills, her behavior is different. Since we get generic brand pills, apparently they can fill your prescription with a different manufacurer. I kind you not, there is a difference! I will be notifying the pharmacy of this issue and hope that next month we can get the pill we got the first time.

crazykindofmom said...

Thanks! I'm realizing that we're in the beginning stages of this part of managing her ADHD. We're figuring out what works and what doesn't.

I need to find a brand that cleans up easily and doesn't stain fabric. Some say they don't and they really do. Maybe "green" types of paints won't.

crazykindofmom said...

You can say that again. Managing her needs have really taught me how to manage some of my failures as well. I have begun to look at the good parts of this.

crazykindofmom said...

Thanks! I'm realizing that we're in the beginning stages of this part of managing her ADHD. We're figuring out what works and what doesn't.

I need to find a brand that cleans up easily and doesn't stain fabric. Some say they don't and they really do. Maybe "green" types of paints won't.

Missy | Literal Mom said...

I love your last couple of sentences.  You will get through this.  And someday soon, you'll have it mastered (right about the time the NEXT thing pops up).  We moms really have to stay on our toes, don't we?

Isafrenchy said...

A lot of people say that they grow out of it. There is ADHD in my family too. Have you heard the song by Mindy Gledhill? Anchor. It reminds me that i am an Anchor for my children. Sometimes it help me be patient :)
http://lechateaudesfleurs.blogspot.com/2010/11/mindy-gledhill-anchor.html 

XOXO
Isabelle