Thursday, January 19, 2012

Writer's Workshop: Man's Best Friend

Ginger
 Bandit
Jasper
Ryelee
Baron
It seems only like yesterday that some of these dogs were in my life. I'm an animal lover and besides horses, dogs are my favorite furry animal. I believe that most dogs are quite intelligent, but I have a had a few in my lifetime that are a few cards short of a deck. 
Bandit was a beautiful black and white husky with gorgeous blue eyes. My dad had his heart set on getting a husky with blue eyes and when he read the ad in the paper, he loaded us all up to go see this dog. The people selling it lived almost an hour away on a farm. 
I remember there being two puppies, Bandit and his sister, she was a caramel colored female with gold colored eyes. I wanted to bring her home but the decision wasn't up to me. We were there for the blue eyed dog. 
I vaguely remember the details, but my dad made a trade with this farmer and he traded our pet rabbits (my rabbit Black Beauty was included in this trade) with cash for the dog. That evening the farmer came back and loaded up our rabbits and the next day we went back to pick up the dog. That should have been a sign that it wasn't going to work out. He threw up several times in the car on the way home. It was awful. The dog was in the front passenger seat with my mom and she was hollering at my dad because the dog was vomiting. 
The same thing happened several times during the few years we had him. There was one time that after him throwing up my mom opened the car door and he jumped out and ran down the road. That dumb dog ran off and we had to chase him down. It was quite a scene.
He wasn't a very smart dog at all. Beautiful but dumb. 
After a few years of dealing with that dog, my parents put an ad in the paper. They gave him away. I cried the day he went.  Some body showed up that day, said they were there to see the dog and the exchange took place. My parents never disclosed their decision or plan to us kids.

 

I'm linked up with Mama Kat at 



2.) List the names of five dogs from your lifetime. 
Write about why one sparks a stronger memory to you than the others.

2 comments:

kaye said...

why that was traumatic.  kaye—the road goes ever ever on

Mrs4444 said...

That was a refreshingly different prompt. I enjoyed this post. Dumb dogs are such a pain in the BUTT.

We had a dog who "went to live with the girl chihuahua down the street." Years later, my brother showed me Pepe's bones beneath a rock at a local park. (Don't worry--he was sick and probably died of "natural" causes.)  Parents are funny sometimes.