Thursday, January 26, 2012

WW: It's My Life!


 1. I used to dress up my cat Patches when I was a kid. There were many times when some one would open the door to my room and my cat would come hauling butt out with this wild look on her face. If she could have talked she would have said please some one help me!!! I'm being tortured. It's what happens when all you have is a little brother and you've been forbidden to dress him up in girly clothes, so you choose the next best thing.

2. There were times that my little brother did not escape my attempts at getting some one to join in my dress up time. He actually was a willing participant and let me paint his fingernails and toenails a few times. It was Barbie pink peel off nail polish. That was the last time it happened, because my father threatened my little brother that if he let me do it again he would make him wear a dress.

3. I will never forget the time my older brother ran the riding lawn mower up the side of the satellite dish( you remember those things- they were before the compact ones that you see on the roof) in our yard and blamed my little brother and I. He said we changed satellite direction and it moved causing him to get caught in the arm and run it down with the mower. My little brother and I were punished, spanked and sent to our rooms in tears knowing full well that we did not do that. The next day my brother confessed that he was riding the mower at full speed and lost control and blamed us. It still didn't take away that horrible memory.

4. It was the year that my parents finally got a "real" compact video camera, replacing the one that required you to carry a portable VCR in a bag, for Christmas. We had finished opening all our gifts and my brothers had both received RC cars that year. Mind you, I was 13 or 14 and was in full attitude for those years. My parents told me to take the camera and go video tape my brothers driving their cars. I was none too thrilled about this and proceeded to complain the entire walk through the house, down our driveway and down to our cul de sac, all while it was being recorded unbeknown to me. My parents still have that on tape. I'll never live it down.

5. My dachshund Schnitzl was the kind of dog who let you know if he didn't like some one. He usually barked at the person, growled at the person or in a few cases, peed on the person to let you know. My younger brother was dating this girl at the time and I never knew my dog had decided she was no good. Until one evening at my parents house. This girl was sitting on the couch in the family room and my dog jumped in her lap.She was loving on him when he decided he would let us all know that she wasn't acceptable. It was pretty funny. Until he did the same thing to my husband several years later. (yea, and we're still married)

6. My boyfriend (who is my husband now) thought he would be really cute and show me how fast his motorcycle could go up my parents driveway (they live on a large hill with a long driveway). It was cold that night and he had his riding gloves on. I was standing in the lawn watching him race it up the hill, smiling at him and then my face went to horror as he never stopped until he hit my car!! He smashed his bike right into the rear of my car with his bike. Apparently, his heavy gloves caught in the throttle and he couldn't stop it in time.It was pretty horrifying to watch.  I'll never let him live that down.

 7. My sister in law (my older brother's wife) used to hang out all the time when my brother was enlisted in the Navy. He was gone for boot camp and we went to the movies one night together. We bought the largest popcorn and ate the whole thing before the movie started.  When we left after the movie I joked to her and said next time we just need to buy a vat of popcorn.!! We actually just joked about it when we saw each other this last weekend.

8. Egg nog with nog. I'm not sure what your families call it, but when you add Wild Turkey or Bacardi Rum to your egg nog, it's nog with nog in my family. We used to drive around at Christmas to look at the lights and bring our "egg nog". It was so cold this one year and since we were piled into the bed of my dad's pickup truck we decided to wrap up in a large blanket, while he was driving down the road. We lost track of the egg nog jug until we heard this loud pop!!! We uncovered our heads just in time to see the egg nog all over the road. Needless to say, that was the last year of egg nog and pick up trucks.

 9.What is it about holidays?!? Family gatherings seem to bring more stories. There was the Christmas, back in the 80's that we spent sitting on our lawn while the turkey sat in the fridge because we were without power- ALL DAY. Apparently a little squirrel decided he wanted some warmth and somehow managed to get himself zapped, thus popping the transformer connected to our house. We found the only place, two towns over, that was open on Christmas Day for our Christmas dinner.

10. August 13th 1999. My birthday was on a Friday that year and my mother bought me a Ouija Board. I was born on Friday the 13th and was always fascinated with the spiritual side of being a Friday the 13th baby. We used the board that night. My boyfriend, my older brother, his wife, my younger brother and his then girlfriend. It creeped out most of the group, but we did use it. I won't go into detail, but I honestly believe it works.

I'm linking up with Mama Kat today and chose prompt #3.

 You know the stories that are retold a million times at family gatherings? I call them Life Stories that you just never live down. List your Top 10 Life Stories.

My title made me think of this song. Enjoy!!

7 comments:

Diane@BeStillAminute said...

Great stories!

Ouija boards are freaky!  My friends and I used to play with one when we were teenager until one night it freaked us all out so bad we never touched it again.  I've forbidden my boys to ever bring one into this house.

I used to dress my little brother up too and I still dress my wiener dogs up!  Love the Dachshund story. Such a typical wiener!   

Diane@BeStillAminute said...

Great stories!

Ouija boards are freaky!  My friends and I used to play with one when we were teenager until one night it freaked us all out so bad we never touched it again.  I've forbidden my boys to ever bring one into this house.

I used to dress my little brother up too and I still dress my wiener dogs up!  Love the Dachshund story. Such a typical wiener!   

Gina said...

Loved #6...your then boyfriend running into your car. Also, who didn't love and get spooked by Ouija boards. Fun to read!

CrazyKindofMom said...

Thanks! It's laughable now!

CrazyKindofMom said...

They are pretty freaky. My husband forbids me to pull mine out.

It was definitely a wiener dog moment. He had many of those and I still loved that dog.

Tiffany VanVorst said...

Ouiji boards! FREAKY! And born on Friday the 13th? Freakier.

CrazyKindofMom said...

I find it interesting that I'm a 13th baby. :) When I meet other people born on the 13th, especially a Friday, we have this connection. Now that, is freaky. lol.